Dogs Sniffing Around

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dogs Sniffing Around

One of the Washington County drug dogs waits for instructions during a surprise inspection on campus.

Annaleise Gates

Panting dogs from the Washington County Sheriff’s Department recently sniffed around school for any substances that are prohibited by law and school policy.

The student handbook said, “An orderly and safe school environment that is conducive to promoting student achievement requires a student population free from the deleterious effects of alcohol and drugs.”

The school has specific guidelines of what they can search and what they can do about anything they find.

School Resource Officer, Chad Parrish and Dean of Students, Jay Harper, both explained that the school has the right to search “anything on school campus” if there is reasonable suspicion. If a student is found with something they will receive administrative decided punishment.

Depending on a student’s age, he or she could also end up with punishments from the Juvenile Detention Center or be dealt with as an adult in a court of law.

Parrish and Harper also clarified that the most recent search was one of a couple random searches they conduct over a school year.

“Every now and then I’ve seen really really good people get into drugs, and it just tears them up,” said Parrish.

Good people can still get themselves into bad situations and these searches are in place to catch the situation to help students before they get hurt or hurt others.

Harper said, ”It’s not worth it.”

The school has policies against substance abuse, and the government has laws against substances abuse. These are meant to put a stop to the harmful situation and help the people in these circumstances.

Students can be each other’s best advocates when they see or suspect something.

“Tell somebody,” said Parrish because being caught can be the best step towards students turning the condition around.